About Jo Howell
After completing a BA Hons in Photography, Video and Digital Imaging at Sunderland University, Howell set up her photographic studio. Initially at Creative Cohesion in the City Centre after attaining a scholarship studio, Howell aimed her creative practise towards developing projects, teaching workshops, and commercial filmmaking with photography.
Howell has worked on several large scale participation projects. The most recent was #wearexperimenting for the Cultural Spring and NEPN. This project saw Jo take a darkroom tent around community festivals and centres to create artwork investigating photography and science’s cross overs. Using traditional chemical processes in combination with digital distribution to explore notions of place and self.
Links to projects:
- #Wearexperimenting 2018.
- Look & Inspire Pinhole Photography Project 2014 – present.
- The Big Picture Project 2011 and 2012 for the Cultural Olympiad.
- British Institute of Human Rights 2010 (Arcadea Disability Arts).
- The Story of Sunderland (National Glass Centre),
- Gillian Dickinson Project (National Glass Centre).
- Walk with NGCA
- No Stigma Attached (Art Studio Sunderland).
- Lambton Wyrm (Art Studio Sunderland).
- Christmas Kathleen Animation (Arcadea Disability Arts).
- 30 years of The Art Studio